Friday, January 24, 2014

Landed in Chiang Mai!

From subzero temps to SE Asia I made it!

The flight from New York to Hong Kong was surprisingly easy.  I slept most of the trip which helped adjusting to the twelve hour time change!  I was bummed I couldn't see much of Hong Kong from the airport or the plane.  The three hour flight to Chiang Mai from Hong Kong was beautiful as we flew over miles and miles of rice fields, rolling mountains and long country roads.  So excited to have this time in Thailand!!
Since being in Thailand I have already seen so much and can't believe it has only been a week!  We had a "soft landing" to Thailand including many wonderful Thai meals out, ice cream, coffee (the coffee industry has really taken off here in the past ten years and there are shops everywhere!) and a Thai massage (which was described to me as someone doing yoga to you and was quite an experience)!  My first impression of the city was fast moving, as the 'king of the road' takes the lead in the traffic patterns and you need to be very mindful when in the roads or even walking in the street as the sidewalks have many surprising drops.  While the streets are busy, there is not a lot of accompanied noise.  Everyone is very calm, having an unspoken exchange of traffic courtesy, much different from some busy roads I have seen back home. I will not be driving an automobile while here, which is ok because getting used to the traffic may take a while!  Also, the moving vehicles travel on the left side of the road, unlike the states. Like the automobiles, I will not be driving a motorbike which most of the students at Chiang Mai University ride.  These motorbikes are quite convenient in terms of getting around, but you must be very aggressive and alert while riding as they thread the traffic, going in between cars.  I will be walking a lot and it has been suggested by many people for me to buy a bicycle. 

Yantarasri Resort - first two nights in Chiang Mai
The city is mixed with new construction, shops and houses all intertwined on the blocks. Thai tradition and culture is found on every block, such as the spirit houses which I am sure I will learn more about in my classes!  Overall, my first impressions of Chiang Mai are simply amazing.  The people are so friendly and eager to help me learn.  The climate and landscape is absolutely breathtaking - and hot! Thailand is currently in their winter months and I have been told the heat will come in April and May and to be prepared!   

Spirit Houses


Coffee Shop




Thai Massage


No comments:

Post a Comment